Make different combinations of the same number
- Demonstrate that if you put #5 and #5 together (one on top of another) it makes 10.
- Then ask students if they can figure out how to make 10 by putting 2 rods together.
- Students can work in pairs to make as many different combinations as possible.
- Bring students back to the whole group and ask them to share one of the combinations they made.
- Students will be able to see the combinations that make 10 because they will all be the same height.
- Students may further extend the activity by creating their own combinations.
Roll a dice and make as many combinations of that number as you can
- Students roll two dice and add the numbers together.
- Using the Cuisenaire rods, students show different ways to make that number.