Spatial Reasoning Focus:
- Composition and decomposition of 3D shapes
- Visual-spatial working memory
- Visual chunking strategies
- Spatial language
- This is a teacher led activity, which can be conducted with a whole class or small groups.
- Computer and projector
- Download: Multilink Cube 3D Quick Image PPT
- Bag of multilink cubes for each student: 5 blue, 5 red, and 5 green
In this quick image activity, students will be presented with two-dimensional images of three-dimensional shapes comprised of multilink cubes. Students will be asked to visualize the objects and then recreate them from memory.
- Present the first image (figure 1) for five seconds.
- Invite students to recreate the structure from memory. Depending on the complexity of the shape, and the needs of the students, the image can be shown again to allow students to notice additional features while they build.
- After sufficient time for building, show the original image again, and have students compare it with their own.
- Facilitate discussion and sharing about student’s strategies for how they approached the task.
- Repeat with each image.
Questions to Extend Student Thinking
- Did you find it easy, medium or difficult to remember the shape?
- What made the challenge easy/medium/difficult to remember?
- Does the shape resemble anything?
- How many multilink cubes in all were needed for this shape?
- Can you suggest a way to make it easier to count?