Curriculum – Geometry and Spatial Sense
- Sorting and classifying 2-dimensional shapes by attributes
- Classifying 2-dimensional shapes by geometric properties
- Relating shapes to other shapes, to designs, and to figures
- Composing and decomposing shapes
- Recognizing transformations
- Identifying congruent shapes
Students are briefly presented with an outlined shape and then, must use Pattern Blocks to compose the 2-D image.
- 2-D shape outlines (template available), see Pattern Block Interview
- Have students sitting at tables or desks and provide them with a sampling of Pattern Blocks.
- In the first round, present students with the outline of a 2-D shape (see image below) and have them construct the 2-D shape using Pattern Blocks.
- For subsequent rounds of the game, briefly present students with the outline of a 2-D shape (see image below) and then, hide it from view.
- Have students construct the 2-D shape using Pattern Blocks.
- Repeat Step 3 and Step 4 until most students have composed the 2-D shape.
- Facilitate a discussion around memory strategies and the different ways of
composing the same 2-D shape.
- Tell students they will be making a bird nest.
- Ask students to collect items they want to use into the plastic container.
- Ask students to shape it into a nest.
- Place the container in our outdoor environment where a nest would usually be found.
- Discuss what it was like making a nest – finding the pieces, constructing the nest, etc.
- Discuss whether it would be easier for birds to make nests and why
- Monitor the nests over the week and make observations: if any nests have been occupied, if any materials are missing etc.