Curriculum – Data Management and Probability
For students to begin to develop an understanding of numbers using concrete materials to explore and investigate counting, quantity, and number relationships.
Students and the teacher begin by sitting on the floor in a circle.
- Three different types of apples – red, green, and yellow
- Cut the apple into small pieces so each child has a chance to sample each type of apple
- Pre-prepared graph with the colour of each apple – define each column at the bottom
- Pre-cut apples of different colours
- Explain to the children they will be trying different types of apples today.
- Encourage students to think about how they taste, smell, feel and look.
- Choose a colour of apple and have all students try it.
- Ask each student to comment on how it tastes, smells, feels and looks.
- Repeat the steps above until students have tried all types of apples.
- Ask students to think about which type of apple was their favourite.
- Have students come up and put their favourite apple in the appropriate column.