Welcome to my online resumé. Although I no longer teach courses (like these), I do some university service work (e.g., for FOE) and supervise students’ doctoral thesis projects (Congrats to Dr. Sarah El Halwany!). Mostly, though, I focus on my STEPWISE-informed research & publication programme – often working with graduate students and teachers using action research to learn about overcoming STSE Harms. Some publications from this research are highlighted on this page. Refer also to my ORCID record, my CTL profile and a copy of my most recent full curriculum vitae linked below. I can be contacted at: email@example.com.
Recent Journal Articles
- El Halwany, S., Zouda, M., & Bencze, L. (in press). Stepping into STS literature: Some implications for promoting socioecological justice through science education. Cultural Studies of Science Education, . [invited]
- El Halwany, S., Bencze, L., Hassan, N., Schaffer, K., Milanovic, M. & Zouda, M. (2021). Becoming alive within science education (research): Thinking with life history(ies), bodies and stickiness. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 16(1), 85–107.
- Bencze, J.L. (2020). Re-visioning ideological assemblages through de-punctualizing and activist science, mathematics & technology education. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics & Technology Education, 20(4), 736–749. [invited]
- Bencze, L., Pouliot, C., Pedretti, E., Simonneaux, L., Simonneaux, J., & Zeidler, D. (2020). SAQ, SSI and STSE education: Defending and extending ‘science-in-context’. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 15(3), 825–851.
- Tsoumparis, D., Bencze, L., Curtis, S., & Zouda, M. (2020). Practical suggestions for promoting science student actions to overcome social and environmental harms. School Science Review, 102(379), 64-70.
- Bencze, J.L. (2020). Post-pandemic science & technology education: An opportune and necessary ideological battle. Journal for Activist Science & Technology Education, 11(2), 33-54.
- Bencze, J.L. (2020). Stepwise progress towards more widespread altruistic uses of science and technology. Journal for Activist Science & Technology Education, 11(1), VI-VIII.
Recent Book Chapters
- Bencze, J.L. (in preparation). Politicized socio-scientific issues education promoting social justice & environmental vitality. In Hsu, Y.-S., Tytler, R., & White, P. (Eds.), Innovative approaches to teaching and teacher professional learning in socio-scientific issues and sustainability education (pp. xx-xx). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Bencze, L., El Halwany, S., & Zouda, M. (in preparation). Science students dreaming of future ecojust sociotechnical assemblages: Drawing from critical & altruistic ‘food for thought.’ In J.D. Adams & C. Siri (Eds.), Wondering science: Creativity, imagination and future thinking in science education (pp. xx-xx). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Bencze, J.L. (in review). To be debated: Teachers should and can mobilize science students to help revise or replace capitalism. In J. Dillon & M. Watts (Eds.), Debates in science education (2nd ed.). London: Routledge.
- Bencze, J.L., & Carter, L.C. (2020). Capitalism, nature of science and science education: Interrogating and mitigating threats to social justice. In H.A. Yacoubian & L. Hansson (Eds.), Nature of science for social justice (pp. 59-78). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Bencze, L., El Halwany, S., & Zouda, M. (2020). Science teacher education promoting critical and active public engagement to address socioscientific problems. In M. Evagorou, J. Alexis Nielsen & J. Dillon (Eds.), Science teacher education for responsible citizenship: Towards a pedagogy for relevance through socio-scientific issues (pp. 63-83). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Weinstein, M., Pouliot, C., Martins, I., Levinson, R., Carter, L., & Bencze, L. (in preparation). Science education towards social and ecological justice: Provocations and conversations. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Bencze, J.L. (ed.) (2017). Science & technology education promoting wellbeing for individuals, societies & environments. Dordrecht: Springer (Summary).
- Bencze, J.L., & Alsop, S. (eds.). (2014). Activist science & technology education. Dordrecht: Springer (Advert.).
- Alsop, S., Bencze, L., & Pedretti, E. (eds.) (2005). Analysing exemplary science teaching: Theoretical lenses and a spectrum of possibilities for practice. Buckingham: Open University Press.
- Milanovic, M., El Halwany, S., Krstovic, M., Mitchell, K., Padamsi, Z., Qureshi, N., Schaffer, K., Zouda, M., & Bencze, L. (2019). Science education for civic action: A ‘STEPWISE’ project resource guide for teachers. Toronto: STEPWISE Research and Publication Team (PDF & Site).
- Zouda, M., Schaffter, K., Pouliot, C., Milanovic, M., El Halwany, S., Padamsi, Z., Qureshi, N., & Bencze, L. (2019). Ban the dust: A graphic novel about citizen action to eliminate urban dust pollution. Toronto: STEPWISE Research and Publication Team [Novel; Suggested Pedagogy; Video Advert].
Recent Academic Talks
- Bencze, L. (2021). Capitalism, nature of science and science education, a presentation as part of an IHPST-hosted webinar, Towards a Research Agenda in Nature of Science for Social Justice, regarding the book, Nature of science for social justice, April 13, 2021.
- Bencze, L. (2021). Social media: Growing a pro-capitalist ‘Borg.’ A panel presentation & discussion to faculty & students of the Faculty of Education, University of Ottawa, March 23, 2021, regarding the video documentary, The Social Dilemma. [My Video] [Paper]
Accepted Conference Proposals
- CSSE, 29May – 3June, 2021 (Symposium). El Halwany et al.; Nurul-Hassan et al.; Zouda et al.; Bencze et al.
- ASERA, 30June – 2July, 2021 (Symposium). El Halwany et al.; Yeung et al.; Zouda et al.; Bencze et al.
- SSSS, 6-9Oct, 2021 (Symposium). El Halwany, Zouda & Bencze; Zouda, El Halwany, Tsoubaris & Bencze; Bencze, Del Gobbo, El Halwany, Milanovic, Mohammad, Yeung & Zouda.
- ESERA, 30Aug – 3Sept, 2021.
Editorial Board Memberships
- Cultural Studies of Science Education. This journal’s priorities highly align with my socio-political views. Supported by Springer publishers, they also host the annual CSSE Forum – a small conference featuring longer, small-group, discussions. As a Board member, I also serve as Lead Editor for submitted manuscripts – which involves initial overall review and coordination of expert reviews of each manuscript to which I have been assigned.
- Contemporary Trends and Issues in Science Education. This series of books published by Springer also aligns with my political views and is edited by Dana Zeidler – a prominent scholar regarding socioscientific issues education. I am asked to review proposals for academic books for this series.
Journal for Activist Science & Technology Education
In 2009, Dr. Steve Alsop (York University, Toronto) and I co-founded/edit JASTE – a community-reviewed & open-access journal that focuses on knowledge about STSE Harms and rectifying civic actions. Our latest issues are: JASTE 11.2, which features academic articles discussing possible – and/or perhaps necessary – influences of the CoViD-19 pandemic on science & technology education; and, JASTE 11.1, advertised through this video, the third in a series of school-based issues featuring student-written RiNA project reports based on STEPWISE pedagogy. Dr. Jesse Bazzul (U Regina) served as co-editor (2014-19), leading some critical issues and helping us convert to using the OJS hosting service. Please consider helping us advertise these and other JASTE issues.
- PhD, Education (U. Toronto [OISE]), 1992-1995); Thesis: Bencze, J.L. (1995). Towards a more authentic and feasible science curriculum for secondary schools. Unpublished PhD Thesis. Toronto: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto.
- BEd, Biology/Chemistry (Queen’s U., 1976-77).
- MSc, Biology (Queen’s U., 1974-77); Thesis: Bencze, J.L. (1977). Cytogenetic and fine structural analysis of polytene chromosomes from Drosophila melanogaster. Unpublished MSc Thesis. Kingston, ON: Queen’s University.
- BSc, Biology (Queen’s U., 1970-74).
- Secondary School Diploma (academic studies), PCVS (1968-70), Peterborough, ON.
- Secondary School Diploma (technology studies), PCVS (1964-66); ASCVI (1966-68), Peterborough, ON.
- Elementary School Diploma, St. Peter’s Elementary School (1956-64), Peterborough, ON.
- Associate Professor (Emeritus), Science Education, OISE/UT, since July 1, 2018.
- Assistant-Associate Professor, Science Education, OISE/UT, 1998-2018 (tenured, 2003; major courses).
- Assistant Professor of Education, College of Education, U. Saskatchewan, 1997-98 (1-year position).
- Independent Science Consultant, 1995-97.
- Consultant, Intermediate & Senior Science, York CDSB, Ontario, 1988-92.
- Science Teacher, Elementary & Secondary Independent, Private & Public Schools, Ontario, 1977-88.