Curriculum – Science
- 1.7 use specialized vocabulary for a variety of purposes (DLMB, PSI)
- 1.8 ask questions for a variety of purposes and in different contexts (SRWB, DLMB, PSI)
- 13.2 make predictions and observations before and during investigations (PSI)
- 13.3 select and use materials to carry out their own explorations (PSI)
- 13.4 communicate results and findings from individual and group investigations (PSI)
- Magnetic items
- Begin with a brief discussion of what they have learned and know about magnets.
- What do you know about magnets?
- How do you know something is magnetic?
- What are some things that are not magnetic?
- I wonder if there are things outside or inside that are magnetic?
- Divide students in small groups.
- Walk around outside and have children collect things they think may be magnetic.
- Then bring students back inside and ask the children to find things they think may be magnetic.
- Collect the items children gathered inside and outside and test whether things were magnetic or not.
- Determine whether it was easier to find things that were magnetic inside or outside.