Closest to….tens and ones (Early Years/Primary)
- This is a simpler version of the game with only two spots.
- As in Closest to…Hundreds Tens and Ones, cards are handed out to students.
- Students pick up the cards and order them to make the highest card possible.
Closest to….adding (Primary/Junior)
- Students are given three games to get the highest number.
- They have five rounds per game – each round they are handed one card and need to decide to lay it down or discard it. They can discard two cards per game.
- Once a card is laid in a place value spot, it cannot be changed.
- After each game children add up their total and determine how much they need to get in the next round to beat their next closest player.
- These games can be adapted to have the lowest number or a specific number (e.g., 500) as the goal.
The layout of the game can include decimals to extend learning.