Primary: Geometry and Spatial Sense
- Identify and describe the location of an object, using a grid map, and reflect two-dimensional shapes.
- This game can be played as a whole class or in small groups.
- Multiple square tiles in many different colours per player
- 1 Game board per player (Appendix – download)
- Teacher or Leader’s board can be created on an interactive white board
- Student’s game board will remain hidden from the view of the teacher/leader
- Teacher calls out the coordinates on which square tiles should be placed (e.g. place a red tile on B3; place a blue tile on C1).
- Students follow the instruction to place the correct tile in the correct coordinate.
- Repeat this process until a colourful design has been made on the grid.
- At the end, reveal the teacher reveals their game board and allows students to revise their shapes to match the teacher game board.
- Change the roles and play the game again.
- Can children follow the teacher/leader’s instructions?
- What kind of spatial language do children use (e.g. up/down, left/right, under/over)
- Once students are familiar with coordinates, Pentomino Battleship can be played.