Curriculum – Patterning
For students to explore, recognize, describe, and create patterns, using a variety of materials in different contexts.
Students begin by sitting on the carpet in a circle.
- Whiteboard or chalkboard
- Whiteboard markers or chalk
- Put a simple pattern on the board and ask students if they can identify or extend the pattern.
- After each extension or suggestion of the pattern, ask students how they know and have them explain their reasoning to the class.
- Put a different pattern on the board and repeat the steps above.
- Put a pattern up with a missing piece in the middle.
- Ask students what piece fits and ask them to explain their reasoning.
- In collaboration with the students, identify the features that define a pattern.