Curriculum – Patterning
For students to explore, recognize, describe, and create patterns, using a variety of materials in different contexts.
Students and teacher will go around the classroom or school looking for patterns. Students should have previous experience with patterns.
- Pattern hand out (Appendix A)
For appendix download the lesson plan here.
- Students will search the classroom or school for a pattern.
- Once students have found a pattern, the teacher will take a picture of the pattern and note which child found it.
- The teacher will print the pictures and put it on the pattern hand out.
- In the blank box beside the picture, students will recreate the pattern they saw.
- Below, students will write about the pattern they found.
- Example: “I found an AB pattern in my classroom.”
- These pattern handouts can then be displayed in the classroom for other children to see.