Curriculum – Patterning
For students to explore, recognize, describe, and create patterns, using a variety of materials in different contexts.
Students will be in small groups on the carpet. Students should have had some previous experience with patterns and making patterns.
- Beads of different shapes and colours
- Personal 100s chart (Appendix A)
For appendix download the lesson plan here.
- Work with small groups of children at a time.
- Explain that children will get to make their own patterns with the beads.
- After children have finished their first pattern, have them explain and name their pattern to the group.
- Ask students not to clear their first pattern off their chart. Instead, they must add to it and make a second pattern.
- Patterns can go in any direction (horizontally, vertically or diagonally).
- Repeat the steps above and have children make as many patterns as they can.
- Take a picture of the patterns they made for documentation or the extension activity outlined below.
Writing about your bead pattern
- Using the pictures you took from the “Making patterns with beads,” have students write about their favourite pattern.